Monday, October 1, 2012

What is Dune?


What is Dune?




Dune is a book written by Frank Herbert that originally published in Analog magazine in 1964. It was published as a book in 1965. It won a Hugo award the next year. It is also the first book of what is called 'The Dune Chronicles' of six novels.

It deals with the trails and tribulations of one Paul Atreides, son of Duke Leto Atreides and the Lady Jessica and his ascension to power.

His family is given responsibility of the planet Arrakis, the Dune of the title. They have to mine the powerful geriatric spice, Melange, all the while keeping their enemies, the Baron Harkonnen and the Emperor, Shaddam the IV. They work hard to unite the planetary populace, the Freman, under their rule, but the Baron strikes before it becomes possible. Paul and his mother escape into the desert and the Freman, while the Duke is killed in a suicidal attempt on the old Baron.

During the two years he lives among them, Paul acquires the name of Maud'dib and unites the freman under him as his father dreamed. He is soon known as a prophet among them.

When the time is right, Paul and his Freman attack the Emperor and the Baron and take control of the galaxy and exact their revenge.



I became aware of the series thru the Lynch movie in 1984. I saw it in the theater, and it was like nothing I had seen up to that point. The scenery was fantastic.

The story I mostly followed, since what needed to be followed was rather simple, ie, a Duke's son is driven into the desert and leads a people to get revenge and power.
All the politics I ignored, letting myself get caught up in the imagery. I mean, say what you will, but the '84 movie is visually stunning in a way the miniseries isn't.

And after that, I read the book, and things became a whole lot clearer.

So, I'll always prefer the movie to the miniseries, just for introducing me to this series, and for the wonderful boost it gave my imagination.

Anyway, thanks for reading this boring post, and long live the fighters!

PDW

No comments:

Post a Comment